Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Shirt Tales: Experimenting with Self



In the transition from 2007 to 2008, I have been experimenting with styling and posture. The "self-portraits" above were taken for the purpose of playing with and understanding the effect of posture and colour styling on an image. They are not self-conscious "portraits" where I am trying to say something about myself, but rather like sketches from a photographic sketchbook that help me work out ideas I have for Shirt Tales.

Other than learning about the formal aspects of photography, this process of "self-portraiture" is teaching me something very interesting about myself: that I have trouble asking for help. I would like to photograph other people who are into being directed and playing dress-up for the camera so that I may develop my photography, yet I am reluctant to ask. Its amazing how following your passion helps you uncover those vulnerabilities that need tending to. I am fiercely independent, something I would like to change. What would happen if I invited someone over to take images and my shit wasn't together, as in, with the help of the other person I/we would have to learn on the fly? It would be magic. If only I would let it.

Clearly, my lesson for 2008 has begun early : )

HAPPY NEW YEAR friends!

May you call magic into your life this year!

3 comments:

rabfish said...

i have watched your self-portraiture with awe, and it would be so fun to goof around with clothes in front of a camera that casually, and i live up the street from you

rabfish said...

i like how you can progressively see more of your face in the second series.

me said...

You say, "What would happen if I invited someone over to take images and my shit wasn't together, as in, with the help of the other person I/we would have to learn on the fly?"... so, I volunteer to be one of those people to participate in learning on the fly... besides, who really has their shit together anyway? Just say when... I know... after India. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails